2017 will be the Year of the Rooster when the Chinese New Year starts on January 28...But let's get this chicken party started early with seven things to look forward to next year in Pittsburgh. Call it seven for '17. I am so ready.
- Eating at Superior Motors in Braddock because I know it's going to be awesome good food and I'm tired of waiting for this restaurant to open. And because of Chef Kevin Sousa. Enough said.
- The Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Basketball Championship, March 8-12. No, no, no...Not for me...but for my husband, aka Sports Boy, who will be in basketball heaven – and out of the house. Everyone wins at this game.
- Pittsburgh Pirates' home opener at PNC Park on April 7. Because hope springs eternal.
- Later that day...Don't gasp because the name of the show is Sh*tfaced Shakespeare, and it takes place at the August Wilson Center on April 7. The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust describes it thusly: "The hilarious combination of an entirely serious adaption of A Midsummer Night's Dream with a single, entirely sh*t-faced cast member." I am so there.
- Seeing the new Broadway show An American in Paris at the Benedum Center...not just because the Pittsburgh CLO brought this musical to life in Paris for its world premiere...and not just because it was the most award-winning musical when it debuted on Broadway...but because it's AN AMERICAN IN PARIS with the music of GEORGE AND IRA GERSHWIN. June 6-11.
- Pinball anyone? There will be more than 750 of 'em when Replay FX returns to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, July 27-30. (Not to mention the 2,000 or so retro arcade games.) I love it that old school is the new cool.
So, yes, there's lot to crow about in Pittsburgh this Year of the Rooster. See yinz chickens around the block!