Welcome to Pittsburgh! What do you want to do first? Not sure yet? Well what about plans for tomorrow? …Well you still have time to decide… Where are you staying? You haven't booked a hotel yet?!?!
PITTSBURGH – Anthrocon, Pittsburgh’s furry convention, is offering a Children’s Art Show as part of its 2023 convention. Anthrocon has developed a wonderful, synergistic relationship with the city of Pittsburgh and wishes to give back a bit more, this time to the children of the city. Therefore, Anthrocon is pleased to announce a new children’s art competition with two divisions and special prizes for the top pieces of art in each division. The division for its younger entrants will have a top prize of a $100 Amazon gift card. The division for its entrants up to seniors in high school will have a top prize available of a $1,000 grant, which can be used at the entrant’s discretion for tuition or educational supplies.
The rules for the competition are as follows:
1. Eligibility: The entrant must be a student living in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. There will be two different divisions based on age. Division A will be for any student up to the age of 12. Division B will be for all students from age 13 to 18. Children must be active students prior to May 1, 2023. Students enrolled in any online schools or who are being home schooled are eligible but must be able to provide verification of their student status. Students at the collegiate level are not eligible.
2. Requirements of artwork to be submitted:
3. All artwork should be submitted with the following information:
4. The deadline for submissions is June 10, 2023. A digital scan or image of the artwork must be received by Anthrocon by 11:59 p.m. on June 1, 2023, at the following e-mail address: Childrens_Art_Show@anthrocon.org.
5. Judging: Art may be judged based on many factors including, but not limited to: concept, character design, overall execution, color usage, originality and imagination, complexity and implementation of the annual theme. A panel of Anthrocon staffers will make the final decisions on the top pieces of artwork.
6. Artwork display: Anthrocon hopes to display as much of the submitted artwork as possible. If the number of submitted pieces exceeds the space available for the Art Display, then only a variety of pieces, including the top selections, will be displayed. The exact location of the display within the David L. Lawrence Convention Center will be determined and announced as the convention approaches. Anthrocon will reach out to artists who have been selected for display due to high ranking at the email address provided on their entry form. The physical artwork for public display will need to be delivered to the Art Show representatives at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center on Thursday, June 29, or Friday, June 30, 2023. To safeguard against damage in handling and display, the artwork should be protected in some way. Flat artwork (drawings, paintings, digital prints, etc.) should be mounted on an art matte or placed in a print protector sleeve, with a backing board. 3-D artwork (sculpture, jewelry, papier-mache, etc.) should be packed in a sturdy cardboard box with cushioning materials, and identifying labels (see 3, above) attached to both the artwork and the box.
7. Winners: Winners will be contacted prior to the start of the convention and will be publicly announced at the convention. Anthrocon will provide more details about the announcement of the winners closer to the convention date.
8. The submitted physical artwork will become the property of Anthrocon, but the copyright of the artwork will be retained by the student. Anthrocon and VisitPITTSBURGH are granted permission in perpetuity to publish (either in print or electronic form) any artwork images for promotional or similar use without compensation to the student. Anthrocon and VisitPITTSBURGH will have exclusive rights to use submitted artwork for reproduction, promotional purposes and display without compensation to the artist.
Anthrocon is very excited to support the children’s art community in the City of Pittsburgh. It is our hope that this is yet another bond forming between our convention and the amazing city that has become our host. We look forward to seeing the amazing creations of the children of Pittsburgh and eagerly await returning in Summer 2023!
VisitPITTSBURGH is the official tourism marketing and promotion agency of the Pittsburgh region. The organization is dedicated to generating business events, sports events and leisure travel.