The Hughes House was built in 1814 with the help of Hughes's slaves. He freed his slaves before the Civil War, and his home became a site of the Underground Railroad. Slaves were hidden in a coal mine behind the house in the summer and in the cellar in the winter. A tunnel connected these two locations.The site now houses the headquarters of the Greene County Library System and the Thomas Hughes House Reading Center. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.