Organized in East Liberty in 1886, this is one of the earliest black churches in Pittsburgh's East End. It has been a popular, long-standing neighborhood institution, serving to unite the early black community of East Liberty and Larimer and provide moral and spiritual leadership. Before its current location, the church had many homes. In 1890, it was at Mary and Heberton Streets; in 1900, it was at St. Clair and Harvard Streets; in 1920, it was at 208 Euclid Avenue and had 1,500 members. In the 1870 Pittsburgh City Directory, this church was listed as the East Liberty Mission.
Stone Romanesque church building (c. 1900)