The Lowrie/Shaw house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is recognized for its historical and architectural significance. The house was built in 1828 by Butler's only U.S. Senator, Walter Lowrie. The furnishings were bequeathed by Isabelle Shaw, a decedent of the Sullivan family, who owned the house since 1839. The house has been restored to its late 19th century splendor.