The "Home for Aged and Infirm Colored Women" opened on July 4, 1883 in the Hill District and was dedicated with a public ceremony. It was the first home for elderly black women in western Pennsylvania. Four residents were admitted, including "Aunt Peggy," the indigent lady whom was the catalyst for the establishment of the home. In February 1897 enough money had been raised to put a down payment on a home on LaPlace Street near Centre and Kirkpatrick streets in the Hill District. Seventeen years later, in 1900, it moved into a home on Lemington Avenue and renamed Lemington Home for the Aged. It had 21 rooms, 6 baths and a hospital ward. It survives as an important example of the institutional building history of blacks in the Pittsburgh area despite disparities in education and financial resources.
Large Edwardian Classical house (c. 1890)