With a membership of 15, Zion Chapel of the AME church was organized Sept. 19, 1849. At first, meetings were held in congregation members' homes. In 1857, the congregation moved to an old frame building on the north side of East Main Street. In 1869, a brick church was erected. In 1913, a buff brick building with stone trimmings was built to accommodate 560 people. In Baker Alley, a central point of the Underground Railroad in Uniontown, a group of sympathetic locals took in runaway slaves, hid them beneath floorboards, and caused enough of a diversion to throw those seeking the fugitives off the trail.