This simple brick building, constructed between 1920 and 1930, housed two important black businesses. In 1937, it became the Ella-Reen Beauty School, the first black beauty school in Pittsburgh. By 1957, it had been taken over by Pryor Furs. Kaufmann's department store gave their furs to Pryor to cut and then prepared it for retail sale back at their store. This establishment was important for black businesses because, at the time, it was an effective way for blacks to reach wealthy white customers that could not be reached otherwise. It represents the talent and skill of blacks in the Hill marketed to the community through two successful black business ventures.