Buttonwood, the home of the Rev. Arthur B. Bradford Family (descendants of William Bradford of the Mayflower), was built in 1840 using bricks made from clay found on the property. Rev. Bradford became a powerful abolitionist, consul to China, prolific author, minister, and founder of the Free Presbyterian Church. Buttonwood became a station on the Underground Railroad, forming a link in the route north to Canada from New Brighton and Beaver Falls to Enon Valley and west through Salem, Ohio. Many famous abolitionists met here in the 1850s.